About Miller Hardware Company
Miller Hardware Company has been serving the people and communities of South Georgia and North Florida since 1908, when founder Willis L. Miller Sr. (1st Generation) opened the original doors in Downtown Lakeland, Georgia. Miller Hardware Company established its flagship location in Downtown Valdosta after moving from Lakeland post World War II. This transition was sheltered by second generation owner Willis L. Miller Jr. (2nd Generation). The original Valdosta location was inserted in the former Badcock Building which at one time served as a Ford Model T dealership and Harvey grocery.?
In 1958, the Company purchased an adjacent property located at 211 East Hill Avenue. This purchase transpired a new construction project of which the Company still holds as the primary mailing address. The new Downtown Miller storefront first opened it’s doors in 1963. Outfitted with distinguished exterior brick, an executive mezzanine, and over 6,000 square feet of new sales space, Willis L. Miller Jr.’s (2nd Generation) retail vision came to fruition. Downtown Miller Hardware remains operating in three conjoining historic buildings to this day – the original and former Badcock Building, the original Parramore & Griffin Seed building, and the Miller Hardware retail space original to 1963.
Dutton M. Miller Sr. (3rd Generation) returned to aid the operation in the midst of acquisition in 1973. This year marks the formal purchase of Whitehead Hardware which expanded the Company’s reach into the wholesale hardware market. This particular division continues to flourish as an integral part of Miller Hardware Company.?
A strategic decision was made in 1989 to create partnership with Ace Hardware. This relationship continues to carry forward as the Company operates as an unaffiliated distributor partner. Dutton M. Miller Sr. (3rd Generation) continued expanding the footprint with a ground up location to better serve northern Lowndes County in 1997. This second standalone Valdosta location plays home to the Company’s expansive Seasons Garden Center located at 3137 N Oak Street Ext.
Fourth generation ownership carries forward today as Richard G. Miller (4th Generation) and Jonathan N. Miller (4th Generation) work collectively to take each business entity to market in a strategically progressive stance. Ask either a question regarding business longevity and the reply will reinforce the original premise of the business – ‘our employees are our greatest asset’.
Over the years the Company has affiliated with outposts in Quitman, Nashville, Lakeland, and Valdosta. The Company has evolved into one of the largest independent hardware companies in South Georgia. As a fourth-generation family business, Miller Hardware Company continues to carry forward its reputable customer service with ambitions to continue serving the customer the ‘best product at the best price’.